History of Sheffield Estates in Schaumburg
The Sheffield Estates is a neighborhood that is located north of Schaumburg Road, west of Springingsguth Road and east of Barrington Road. This subdivision began on a 184 tract of land between Schaumburg and Bode Roads. The plan was to develop 552 single family homes with a maximum of 3 units per acre. According to the plat maps in the Schaumburg library’s collection, this land and the farm on it originally belonged to the Lichthardt family since the mid-1800s. The property stayed within the family until 1956 when it was sold to an unknown buyer. Then Levitt Residential Communities, which was a subsidiary of Levitt and Sons, Inc., acquired it and started building the Sheffield Estates subdivision there from 1976-1978. Levitt was an international home and community developer with a portfolio that spanned throughout the US and overseas. This developer also created other subdivisions throughout Schaumburg and nearby towns. Because Levitt had such a strong reputation and Schaumburg was considered an attractive place to live, this combination really contributed to the town’s residential growth. In 1975 Levitt donated a 50-acre site within its Sheffield Estates subdivision to be used as a recreational park. Also, in 1976 one of the models called the Arlington II won 2nd place in the division of single family detached homes costing $55,000-$65,000 by the Home Builders of Greater Chicago.
Things were looking good, and this was a hot community to be part of. Especially because of its convenient location, amenities, good schools, and the anticipation to be part of what Schaumburg had to offer then and in the future.
Sheffield Estates continues to flourish with its beautiful mid-sized homes, nice looking neighborhoods, and nearby parks. The Community Recreation Center in the area is also a big perk as it is home to The Water Works indoor water park, large fitness center and offers many events and programs.